Friday, July 25, 2008

Horror Hospital (Bad-Good 2 Stars)

So I bought this for a dollar on a used vhs. The cover gave me high expectations for what this film would be, a 1970's British horror hit filled with 'black humor and grisly bloodshed'. Yeah, right. In fact, I would really like to give this movie a lower rating, but I feel that my expectations colored my opinion of it too much. If you walk into this movie not expecting to see all kinds of strange, gory, medical experiments being performed on unwilling test subjects, this movie might be alright. It's got Alfred from the original Batman movie (Michael Gough), so the acting isn't so bad. The script is passable. Also, the ending was good enough that I didn't feel right rating this movie too low. It was the first time in a long time a movie left me genuinely surprised. However, the gore is just not there. There is a little bit of blood once every ten minutes or so, but other than that you get nothing. On the back cover of this movie it talks about rampaging monsters. There is one, and you see him a grand total of maybe 4 or 5 times adding up to about 1 minute. It speaks of hippie zombies. Well, there are some kids who have been lobotomized, but that doesn't make them zombies. Anyway, I was very bored with this movie. There comes a point where the plot just sort of hits a plateau, and it doesn't give you much more to go on until the last 5 minutes or so. Unfortunately, this plateau hits pretty early in the movie. Alright, I'm sick of knocking this movie. I would recommend it only to die hard fans of Michael Gough (you know they're out there) and to people who love to be disappointed by what they read on the cases to their movies. I give it two stars mostly because the ending surprised me and because the acting was good enough to drive my hopes that something cool might eventually happen.

Depending on what color the paint was, Dr. Death might rather watch paint dry than watch this movie again.

No comments: