Tuesday, July 29, 2008

THEM! (Good 4 stars)

An awesome movie for its day, this radioactive 1954 Warner Bros. release was quite entertaining. Sure, the giant bugs look a little hokey, but everything else about this film was done pretty well. There are some interesting shots at times because the film was originally expected to be in 3D. The 3D equipment malfunctioned, however, on the day of its test, making the ending shots of the flamethrowers shooting directly at the camera pack less of a punch. If you haven't heard about this movie, it's about mutant ants in the desert of New Mexico that beginning killing and attempting to build colonies on navy ships and eventually L.A. By the way, these buggers are at least 10 feet long! At times these older movies fail to excite the less patient and arguably less imaginative audiences of today, but I, for one, found this movie easy to resign myself. The use of the informational film on ants that is shown at the meeting really makes the movie a lot creepier. It made it easier for the larger ants to get under your skin. I give this movie 4 stars, but I would add to that the fact that this movie isn't for everyone. It's not really scary. There isn't a lot of gore. It's just an old fashioned, fun, 50's horror/sci-fi flick. I would recommend it to anyone who is planning to have a make-out date. Probably a good one for younger kids also.

"Make me a sergeant! Give me the booze! Make me a sergeant! Give me the booze!"

No comments: