Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Nightmare City (Good-Bad 3 stars)


This movie is a product of one of my favorite horror sub-genres: 80's Italian Zombie movies. All in all, this film is not bad. The pacing is much more merciful than a lot of other Italian horror movies of the era. The dubbing was done reasonably well. The gore was up to par (although you can always have more, in my opinion.) The acting was pretty typically mediocre.
So, I bought this movie because I was reading about it and found its take on the zombie genre interesting. It sounded like a pretty impressive idea to have fast moving zombies that could use weapons and fly aircraft. However, the result was disappointing. The zombie make-up literally looked like feces. There were times I enjoyed the zombie attack scenes, but it was largely difficult to maintain a willful suspension of disbelief due to the fact that the only thing separating the zombies from the rest of the cast was that the zombies had poop on their faces and were much more violent. Also, the premise the movie used to explain why these people were becoming contagious flesh-munchers was confusing. One of the generals describes that they've studied a body of one of the infected and discovered large amounts of radiation. This radiation rapidly destroys the red blood cells so that the infected being has to feed on the blood of others to survive. Radiation was also used as the excuse for the zombies to be of superhuman strength and possess incredible powers of rejuvenation (which allows them to not be killed except by penetration of the cranium?) As far as I know, radiation sickness is not contagious. I believe they also associated some sort of germ element with the contagion, but that still doesn't account for everything.
The soundtrack, I'm pretty sure, is eerily close to the soundtrack used in one of my favorite Italian horror movies. I can't recall which one as of yet, but I'll get back to you when I do.
Anyway, I would recommend it to someone who was very serious about the genre or to a group of creative jokers that just wanted something to tear apart. It's not really that funny on its own. I give it 3 stars for the first 30 minutes or so, 2 stars for the next 20 minutes, and 1 star for whatever is left. I don't want to ruin anything, but I feel it my obligation to mention that the ending really pissed me off.

For a quick run-down: 3 or 4 pairs of breasts (one gets sliced off), an irrelevant use of the line "That sounds like science fiction to me.", choreographed dancing to elevator music, at least one good dismembered eye ball, and a whole lot of throat slicing action.

There you have it. Nightmare City, take it or leave it; no big loss either way.

Consider yourselves warned by the diabolical Dr. Death Mu ha ha ha ah ha

1 comment:

Dutch said...

Yeah, the ending pissed me off, too. I got the impression it was the editors way of fixing a problem from principle photography. I was under the impression that they weren't zombies, so much as, radioactive people.

I'd only recomend it for a completist.